- Keep the tree in a cool shady place like the garage or porch until ready to bring indoors and decorate.
- Saw a thin disk (1/4 inch) off the trunk prior to placing the tree in a water holding stand.
- Make a cut perpendicular to the axis of the stem, not at angles or a v-shaped cut.
- Make sure to place the tree in its water holding stand within 4-6 hours after making a cut to the trunk.
- The stand must be able to hold enough water for the size of the tree. A good rule of thumb is 1 quart of capacity for every inch of trunk diameter.
- Check water level often in the first few days. A tree will absorb the most water after it is recently cut and placed in water.
- Make sure the tree is displayed in a place away from heat sources such as fireplaces, heating registers, tv sets, and computers.
- Always check condition and operation of lights and other electrical decorations before placing them on the tree.